Saturday, April 15, 2006

Lie #3: The Last Lie


On my last day in Puerto Vallarta, I made up my last tall-tale as to why I was in Mexico. It was to an older couple traveling in their retirement years. I was eating breakfast at the table next to them. “I sell prosthetic limbs for pets. We figured Peurto Vallarta might be a good region due to the wealthy tourists. Mostly just legs for cats and dogs that have lost a limb from surgery or getting hit by a car. Once we created a tail for a cat that had lost hers in a car door. Yeah, it’s amazing what people will spend on their pets, but they’ve become like a member of the family. Have we ever sold one to anything other than a cat or dog? Let me think…oh yeah, in Boston there was a parrot owner that had a seafood restaurant. Kept the parrott right there in the restaurant. It lost a leg when it had been attacked by a cat, and he wanted us to attach a wooden peg leg, like a pirate. We refused, though. Too unethical. We’re not here to create carnival attractions. We’re just trying to make pets feel whole again.”

No comments: